Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Animal Trustees of Austin is putting together a vegetarian cookbook as a fundraiser. Since so many of these recipes are vegetarian - several of them vegan, even - I went ahead and contributed them to the cookbook, odd comments and all.

I try and stay involved in the animal rescue community, even though I don't run Guinea Pig Rescue of Austin any more. Next month, the House Rabbit Resource Network is having a rabbit-themed garage sale. Since I have enough rabbit craft kits to last me if I lived to be 100, never mind my current expected life span of rather less than that, I am sorting through them to donate some. Rabbit patterns. Stuffed rabbits, wood rabbits, styrofoam rabbits, quilted rabbits. We have one entire spare bedroom devoted to assorted arts and crafts, with a workbench, power tools, sewing machine, knitting machine, spare computer, sheets of Coroplast, rabbit-cage-building materials, etc. (This house does not have a garage, so we can't set up a workshop in the garage.) For some odd reason, we seem to have several cordless drills - more than there are humans in the household - as well as more than two toolboxes. We counted up glue guns once - we found seven of them, and who knows how many more are lurking somewhere.

Since I've had more time to sit around, I've also been knitting. I know, I know, everybody says "Oh, my grandmother does that!" Well, other people besides grandmothers do it, too! It's a very relaxing craft, good for blood pressure, heart rate, alpha waves, stress reduction in general - ideally suited for the heart failure patient. Of course, an avid knitter spends way too much buying yarn, but on the other hand, look what one can save by giving all one's relatives hand-knitted scarves and hats for holiday presents! (And they're lightweight to pack in one's luggage when one is going to be going through several airports during holiday travels!) My local yarn shop is Hill Country Weavers.


Another article about knitting and stress reduction - this one, I take pains to point out, from Case Western Reserve, an engineering university.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?