Sunday, July 16, 2006

I read a short blurb somewhere recently, that said that researchers have discovered a genetic basis for whether or not heart failure patients respond successfully to beta blockers, and that they are developing a fairly quick genetic test for it. This should mean that it will be possible to test new patients and see whether or not to waste anyone's time, energy, and money on expensive drugs such as Coreg, which also need complicated titration over a period of weeks. Since even my co-pay is expensive for stuff that's still brand-name only such as Coreg, and since the insurance company's share is even more, I'm sure they'd be happy to pay for the test the minute it's available. Since my EF has never noticeably improved, despite all the meds, it could be that I'm one of the people for whom beta-blockers don't work. It would be nice to be able to discontinue one of the meds, if that's the case. I mean, it would be nice if the drugs DID work, but if they don't, I can save some money and eliminate a few side effects.

I'll keep an eye peeled for more details about this one, and keep you posted.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?