Thursday, July 20, 2006

Well, the stress echo shows that my ventricles are discordant - one side blobs OUT when it should be squeezing in; when I exercise, my EF DROPS from 20% down to the 10-15% range. (In the middle of the walk, my blood pressure started dropping because of this. Apparently, this is significantly abnormal enough to wind the test down early.) The bi-ventricular pacemaker would definitely be at least a partial fix for this, if they could get that bi-v lead in, and it looks like it would be worth a third try at it. So, my cardiologist called another EP (electrophysiologist, the pacemaker surgeon) and I go in to see him in a few weeks, and we discuss what we'd need to do to make sure that a third try at putting in a third lead would not be a complete waste of time and money; what can he do differently to avoid the stuff the other EPs ran into? Since the new pacemaker would need to go in a different spot, because the old location is all scar tissue now, where, precisely, would we put it? (And if I was freaking out airline security before, having a pacemaker when I'm not a little old lady, imagine if I have a pacemaker in some spot other than the upper left thorax!) And a few other questions. But anyway, there's no question but that my heart needs the help.

I asked Dr. G, "Why don't people just believe me when I TELL them I get really tired when I walk?" (This is sort of a running thing, because every cardiologist I've ever seen says things like "Oh, you've got to walk more, it will help!" And I keep saying, no, it doesn't build up my stamina, it makes me feel worse! And they never believe me.) And he says it's because I don't panic enough. When I was on the treadmill, I was muttering that it was boring and that I'd like something to read, and maybe I'd just critique the technique of the painting I was staring at, and when the speed and incline increased, I told him that I really wouldn't want to do this for very long, and that it's not a pace I would choose if he weren't making me. Well, that was true. However, according to him, from what the echo was showing, what I *should* have been saying was "This is too much, stop the test, let me off this thing" while panting for breath. Because I wasn't panting for breath, and I could still finish a whole sentence, they didn't believe it till they could see the heart itself.

So OK, I'm supposed to get more upset and panic more often and get hysterical if I want people to take me seriously? C'mon.

Can I help it if playing the saxophone all these years has done wonders for my breath control?

Anyway. I also asked him about the beta blocker research I mentioned in my previous post, and he has read about that, and thought of me, too, and will be keeping an eye out for testing as soon as it's available. He's not so concerned with how much the Coreg costs me and my insurance company, as he is with not having the side effects if I don't have to. He expects the test to be available pretty soon, as these things go.
Baked potatoes with "steak" sauce:
2 large baking potatoes
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 4-ounce can NSA sliced mushrooms (see the link to Healthy Heart Market at right)
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup pine nuts
4 ounces Mr. Spice Garlic Steak Sauce (HHM has this, too)

IN saucepan, melt butter and stir in the pine nuts; stir them around for a minute or so. Add the mushrooms and garlic, and stir them occasionally till the pine nuts brown slightly. Add the steak sauce, stir, turn down heat, and simmer, while you nuke the potatoes for 8-10 minutes.

Slice potatoes open, serve sauce over them. This is a lot of sauce for 2 people (the way I like it) or a modest amount of sauce for 4 potatoes. The Mr. Spice sauce is both low-sodium and fat-free. To make a balanced meal out of this, serve it with salad that has diced fresh mozzarella in it - the kind that comes packed in liquid, in round balls - fresh mozzarella is only about 15-25 mg of sodium per ounce. This'll add some protein to the meal, 'cause the pine nuts alone aren't a whole lot of protein.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?